[Building Sakai] [Management] MT deprecation recommendations for 2.7

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:42:21 PDT 2010

My thoughts here are simple and brief. My solution:

1. Remove all usage of covers from "the release".

2. Mark everything about them deprecated.

3. Keep them synchronized until 2015 (i.e., forever).

4. Add a Maven profile to lint the code and yell if any usage creeps back
in.

5. Include a link in every file's Javadoc to a permanent page of
instructions on how to use the profile to scan and the alternatives for
contrib/local code.

6. Eat pizza with the money we save on not rewriting code.

Everybody wins.

I think the unit test scenario is a red herring. If someone had the
resources to write the tests, they would exist. The fractional cost to
switch off the covers is not why we don't have them.

Thanks,
-Noah