[Building Sakai] [Management] avoid duplicate files in courses

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:33:30 PDT 2010

I just did some experimenting, and have a simple solution that may work. This assumes it's ok for the files to be public. If that is not ok, then this won't work for you.

1. Upload your files somewhere and get the URLs to them. You could put them in a site that is specifically setup just to host them perhaps.
2. In the other sites that need the files, in Resources, add a Web Link and copy the URL in.
3. In those sites, use the URL to the web link that is in that site. This will cascade through to the original file.

I have tested this in various tools and it works, and means you have your files in a central location, and simply linked in each site.

This could all be scripted pretty easily either via a script that talks WebDAV or via the web services.

cheers,
Steve