[Building Sakai] Sakai3 IM and presence capabilities

Adam Hocek Adam.Hocek at marist.edu
Wed Mar 3 13:45:58 PST 2010

Ian,

Thank you very much for the information you provided.  Your explanation
and references are very helpful.
I now have a much better idea of the road map and current status.

- Adam

Adam Hocek
Information Technology
Marist College
tel: 845-575-3948

From:
Ian Boston <ieb at tfd.co.uk>
To:
Adam Hocek <Adam.Hocek at marist.edu>
Cc:
Sakai Developers <sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org>,
sakai-kernel at googlegroups.com
Date:
03/02/2010 07:14 PM
Re: [Building Sakai] Sakai3 IM and presence capabilities
Sent by:
sakai-dev-bounces at collab.sakaiproject.org

Adam,

All the information that follows relates to Sakai Nakamura, the Sakai 3
backend. Some of the functionality that is present there will be available
or used by the front end, but not all.

Presence.
We currently have a presence implementation based on in memory maps of
presence locations, replicated over the entire cluster. A prototype was
originally implemented in response to scalability issues with presence in
Sakai 2, where maintenance of presence required database operations. I
don't think anyone ever used it in anger there. In Nakamura the presence
is maintained by RESTfull calls made by the front end to record the
location of presence, and IIRC the Presence service emits events that are
routed to JMS.  It first appeared in v0.1-20091123, before there was good
Spec writing, but you may find documentation at [1]. There is a long term
intention to integrate with XMPP, and we might replace the cluster
replication of maps with JGroups based messaging which should scale
further.

Shindig/OpenSocial.
Shindig and OpenSocial have not been implemented as yet, the Roadmap
Feature for these are specified at [2],[3]. The OpenSocial Social API will
be integrated with the Social Graph that was introduced in v0.1

The Nakamura implementation of presence is not based on OpenSocial which
may expose presence status taken from the presence service. OpenSocial
only defines and Shindig implements 2 things. A Gadget specification for
converting OpenSocial Gadget XML into a form that can be displayed in the
browser, and a Social API specification that provides a Gadget a standard
API for interacting with that Social API. At the moment, we haven't
determined exactly how all parts of the Social API will interact with the
services inside Nakamura.

I hope that make sense and gives you some idea of implementation roadmap
for the backend. At the moment I cant tell you when these will appear in
the front end.

Ian

1
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/KERNDOC/Implementation+Details
2
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/KERNDOC/KERN-529+OpenSocial+Gadgets

3
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/KERNDOC/KERN-530+OpenSocial+API
4
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/KERNDOC/KERN-531+Social+Graph+and+User+Connections

On 1 Mar 2010, at 15:05, Adam Hocek wrote:

> I would be interested in knowing if there is any ongoing discussion or
work on the presence capability in Sakai3.  My understanding is that this
will be based on Apache's Shindig (Opensocial).    I assume presence in
Sakai 3 will be similar to groups (and resources) and not be within the
context of sakai sites? Also, would like to find out if support for
external instant messaging services through gateways are planned?  If
anyone has more information on this or can point to where I can find out
more this would be most appreciated.

> Adam Hocek
> Information Technology
> Marist College