[Building Sakai] 2x: Entity Broker into Kernel for 2.8

csev csev at umich.edu
Wed Jun 30 05:50:12 PDT 2010

This all makes reasonable sense with one gentle adjustment from my perspective.

Sakai is already so entangled with EB that whatever "future liability" is already there.  Simply moving the code into K1 does not alter the "future liability" in the least.

That said, I am always a supporter of having dependencies on tiny external projects pulled into our own source so if in the future something happens, we control our own destiny - of course the danger is the we "fork" - even a tiny bit.   My own inclusion of OAuth source code from a Google code project is something is less than ideal and something I am hoping to improve..

One really interesting approach to this that I am testing a bit with IMS Basic LTI support is to host the code in Sakai's SVN and make artifacts that are widely usable outside of Sakai.

A good example is the code in:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn//basiclti/trunk/basiclti-util/pom.xml

If you look at this, the code is copyright IMS, Apache 2 and it produces a jar file that is used in Sakai 2, Sakai 3, OLAT and (who knows) perhaps even my Shindig support for IMS Basic LTI.

In my opinion, there is no reason we cannot host, produce, develop and use indie artifacts from within the Sakai servers, project, and developer community.  I feel that the Sakai community is large enough and robust enough that other projects should not perceive our Maven artifacts as "here today and gone tomorrow".   I am not suggesting this as *the* way forward for reflectutils - just an idea that has been gurgling in the back of my mind for a while.

In summary, whilst some analysis is a good idea and a conversation with Aaron and Kernel about dependencies is completely in order, none of what you raise below sways me away from my recommendation of inclusion as quickly as possible.  I would rather move EB quickly to clean up our own messy internal dependencies a bit and then work the other issues as issues to track.

/Chuck