[Building Sakai] 2x: Entity Broker into Kernel for 2.8

csev csev at umich.edu
Tue Jun 29 20:43:15 PDT 2010

One of the things that we talked about for 2.8 in the Denver meeting was moving Entity broker into Kernel.

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Sakai+2x+Project+Planning+Goals

It would seem to me that the earlier, the better to let things settle down.  It looks like the service would go into Kernel whilst the /direct code would stay in the main SVN.

I have a suggestion that when we do this, we keep an empty entity broker jar in its former location until at least after 2.8.   We would move the non servlet bits of EB into kernel, then release kernel, put the "empty jar" into the EB in non-kernel space and then "indie release" the new EB with the empty EB artifact and update the EB version in the main SVN to the new indie release.

Perhaps you are wondering, why the gerrymandering?   For me it is to keep things smooth for lots of code with EB dependencies from having to change their POMs in a way that breaks them for 2.5 - 2.7 so they work in 2.8.  By having the empty EB artifact, we can delay the mass update of dependencies for stuff from contrib until 2.9.  I do think we would quickly remove the unneeded dependencies from the core Sakai release - but let contrib tools have a bit more time.

Again, this is just to make those with vendor branches lives a little easier as well as make it smooth for folks a release behind and branch managers and make it quicker to get contrib stuff across the 2.7 to 2.8 transition.

Regardless of how well folks like the "empty EB jar" idea - I do think we should move forward quickly on the EB move/rework and make sure that the kernel folks have plenty of time to talk about this.

/Chuck