[Building Sakai] Startup mysql issues on MacOS 10.6.4, mysql 5.1.48

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Jun 29 06:24:33 PDT 2010

FYI: From the mysql manual, the value of 0 is not recommended for osx. [1]
Though I guess this would depend on if you have your database files on a UFS
(case sensitive) or HFS+ (case insensitive) volume though? Though probably
not many people know the file-system for their mac installation.

The value of "1" usually seems to be the best way to go overall and is what
we have been recommending in the Sakai Admin guide. [2] Might want to revise
this if it needs some clarification. I have been running my dev Sakai DB's
off of Windows Server 2008.

This issue and the "default-storage-engine=InnoDB" come up as pretty common
problems. :(

>From the manual:

> Value 0: " Name comparisons are case sensitive. You should not set this
> variable to 0 if you are running MySQL on a system that has case-insensitive
> file names (such as Windows or Mac OS X). "

> "On Unix, the default value of lower_case_table_names is 0. On Windows the
> default value is 1. On Mac OS X, the default value is 2."

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/identifier-case-sensitivity.html
[2]
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Database+Configuration+and+Tuning
<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+Admin+Guide+-+Database+Configuration+and+Tuning>