[Building Sakai] Developing on OS X

Brandon Davie brandondavie at mckeelacademy.com
Wed Jun 23 20:33:34 PDT 2010

Well, I have a nice clean install of Sakai 2.6.2 running on our new (and
first) production server. My goal for tomorrow is to get my Mac and local
subversion set up for development, but I have a couple questions concerning
that.

After going over the documents for Sakai 2.6, I ended up installing Java 1.5
on the production server. The issue is with the dev box; Snow Leopard ships
with Java 1.6. I¹ve read an article on how to install Java 1.5, but since
Apple packages up its own Java I¹m sure it¹s not identical to the production
server (J2SE 5.0u22). Would this be a problem? Here¹s the article, if you¹re
curious:
http://chxor.chxo.com/post/183013153/installing-java-1-5-on-snow-leopard

My last concern is with MySQL. From the documentation, it looks like only
Sakai 2.7 and above supports MySQL 5.1, so I installed MySQL 5.0 on the
production server for Sakai 2.6. Unfortunately the dev box has MySQL 5.1
installed (and in use for other projects). Any pointers for this? Can Sakai
2.6 use MySQL 5.1? If so, I¹ll just go ahead and nuke 5.0 and slap 5.1 on
the production server since it¹s not quite in use yet.

I appreciate the help and of course the patience with the newbie :-)

Thanks,
Brandon Davie