[Building Sakai] Dev/Production Setup

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 01:46:45 PDT 2010

On 20 June 2010 01:10, Brandon Davie <brandondavie at mckeelacademy.com> wrote:

> Using this setup, the latest maintenance branch could be pulled from the svn
> repo to the development system, code level changes made, use Maven to build
> and deploy to the dev system’s Tomcat, changes tested and the resulting
> $CATALINA_HOME dropped into the production server’s Tomcat?

We compile on one machine, deploy into an empty folder, zip up the
deploy folder and send this onto our staging/production machines. We
always deploy onto out staging setup first which is a test setup which
closely matches our production setup (just different domain
name/database), and if everything looks good on the staging setup we
deploy to the production setup.

We then archive these zips so that if we ever get a problem with an
upgrade we can easily go back to a previous build.

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services