[Building Sakai] Site Stats/ Server-wide Reports

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Mon Jun 14 02:00:42 PDT 2010

Hi Doreen,

For server-wide reports, there are currently two options, although the
presented data totally differs from each other:

1. A "server-wide reports" feature (this is the option you have just
enabled) was contributed by Danny sometime ago
(http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/STAT-61). It must be enabled in
sakai.properties and is accessible in "SiteStats Admin" tool.
Unfortunatelly, this feature queries SAKAI_EVENT and SAKAI_SESSION directly
and that brings two problems:

   - Queries are heavy and slow
   - Institutions that typically delete or move data from SAKAI_EVENT and
   SAKAI_SESSION to a different DB cannot use this (that's our case)

2. Reports for all sites. This is available in  "SiteStats Admin > Admin
Reports > My Reports" (below these "My Reports" are "Predefined reports"
that will be available on every SiteStats site tool instance). These special
admin reports have an additional property: "Site to report:" under which can
be selected "All sites". This allows to create reports like "Most used tool
sakai-wide", "Most downloaded file (sakai-wide)", etc...

If you are not having any data with option 1, you may want to check if you
still have all original data in SAKAI_EVENT and SAKAI_SESSION tables. As an
alternative, you may want to check option 2 which can produce some
interesting results too.

In (future) version 2.2, user logins can be optionally tracked so that some
statistics regarding this can be presented on the admin version of the tool.

Hope it helps,
Nuno

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Doreen Minich <DMinich at messiah.edu> wrote:

>  We have everything configured so that site by site the stats display as
> expected, however, in Administrative Workspace/Site Stats/Server-wide
> Reports "No data available" is displayed regardless of the report selected
> (Montly, Weekly, Daily...)
>
> We do have
> serverWideStatsEnabled at org.sakaiproject.sitestats.api.StatsManager=true in
> sakai.properties.  Do you have any other suggestions?
>
> TIA,
> Dorie

Nuno Fernandes  .  { Analyst/Programmer }

|| web  . { http://www.ufp.pt  |  http://tinyurl.com/nfgrilo  |  follow_me @
nfgrilo }
|| work . { Universidade Fernando Pessoa  |  Praça 9 de Abril, 349  |
 4249-004 Porto }