[Building Sakai] Wiki and group-awareness

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 10 08:36:49 PDT 2010

From: http://wiki.oucs.ox.ac.uk/weblearn/SakaiAdministratorFaq

How do I have more than one instance of the wiki tool in a site?
A: Harriet Truscott and Ian Boston:
You can't really have more than one wiki in a site, although you can, to some extent, make it appear as though you have multiple wikis in a site. All that is being done is that a different home page for the second wiki is being set which can then be linked to via a URL or Web Content link.
The crucial issue is that you can't have different permissions on the 'second' wiki, which stops easily you having one wiki which is student editable and one wiki which is not. This can probably be managed, but by changing the permissions individually on each page. This is a bit of a performance but does have the desired effect.
More explanation: each wiki page has a global name that you can use to reference it. Each wiki tool when added to a worksite is configured with its Home Page as a wiki page. Think of wiki space like a global filing system of all wiki pages in a Sakai instance. If you create a wiki link with a / in a new sub folder or sub space is created... eg

 *   [lab_experiment12/]
will create a new wiki space called lab_experiment12 with its own Home page (and all the other default pages). You will see the full global name of the page on the info tab in the wiki tool. When a wiki tool is added to a site it connects to the Home Page of the default wiki space for that site. You can configure a wiki tool in a worksite to point to any other wiki space (using its global name). it doesnt even have to be in the same site, but check permissions so that your students can at least read the pages that are there. So you can add as many as you like, each pointing to different wiki spaces you just need to change the Home Page configuration setting to the global name of the page you want the wiki to start at:

 *   use Admin Workspace : Sites : select site : pages : select page : tools : edit wiki
Scroll down and then edit the Home Page settings.

How do Groups work within the Wiki?