[Building Sakai] [Management] Gradebook Situation

Ian Boston ieb at tfd.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:26:03 PDT 2010

On 30 Jul 2010, at 18:45, David Ackerman wrote:

> Ultimately, the final decision would be by the Sakai 3 Project Director, Alan Marks.

Agreed.

I hope/expect Alan will make any decisions with input from those who are doing the work based on the results of evaluations aimed at providing sufficient hard evidence to make a decision. When we started Nakamura we spent over 6 months evaluating all sorts of approaches and then spent a further 6 months experimenting with a short list, at every step determined not to repeat and mistakes that we might have made in the past (we even wrote done honest evaluation based on evidence as a aim of the project), and always prepared to start again based on tangible evidence. (Which we did).

The development methodology we chose is one that is becoming mainstream in web dev, just watch the sessions from Google IO 2009 and 2010 for proof of that, but even so, we are not doing anything that explicitly excludes other approaches.

I do find it interesting that this discussion is happening here, potentially making decisions and there is hardly anyone from the team tasked with doing the work responding on the list. How about cc'ing the UI dev list for comment ? (done)

Ian