[Building Sakai] [Management] Gradebook Situation

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 30 11:19:55 PDT 2010

I am slightly stunned by this conversation, which I have only just caught up with.

There are many things I would like to say, but I will try to stick to what I see as the fundamentals.

1. On the question of technology standards for Sakai 3:
I would be against arbitrary decisions that became 'law' for many reasons. AFAIK the Sakai 3 architecture /could/ support many technologies including GWT. That is a good thing. However, I think the key thing for Sakai 3 is to develop a single distributed team supporting the product. Development should follow design and appropriate technical choices should be made by the technical team based on need. After all they (and their hosting institutions) are doing (and paying for) the work. The choices that the team has made for the initial work are simply that - choices for the initial work. The team would need to deal with the implications of any change and should have a strong voice in any such suggestion. I believe Sakai 2 is moving in a similar direction. As a corollary, the way to influence the technical choices should be to join the distributed team and contribute.

2. On the question of Gradebook options in Sakia 3:
I hope we can have a fundamental rethink of grading and gradebook in Sakai 3 and that we will have that fundamental rethink in conjunction with Kuali Student and other players in the SIS space. Much of the features that are listed on Clay's gradebook confluence page, seem to my uninformed eye to be grade processing rules that ought to be configurable (perhaps using a rules engine) rather than requiring code changes. Other thoughts include reviewing the use of a reporting tool like BIRT to present user interfaces.

HTH
John