[Building Sakai] [Management] Gradebook Situation

Mustansar Mehmood mustansar at rice.edu
Fri Jul 30 11:12:34 PDT 2010

  I couldn't agree more with the need to separate back end from UI as
much as possible giving teams to make a choice that fits their
experience and preferences in choosing the right framework.
For the major Sakai tools, teams responsible for developing and
maintaining those tools, are much more suited for making the appropriate
choices. However that system doesn't relieve the sakai community of the
need to have standards to make sure that short lived technologies don't
make their way into Sakai.
Tool support, licensing model, future plans and or a healthy community
and ubiquitousness  are one of the major parameters to consider a UI
framework regardless of client or server side.
With latest evolution in Java some frameworks are more appropriate than
others in terms of ease of development and close knit AJAX capabilities.
--mustansar

On 07/30/2010 11:47 AM, Nate Angell wrote:
> I wonder if a common server-side UX platform is even really something
> useful to consider for Sakai 3. My understanding of Sakai 3 is that we
> are aiming for an entirely different model of development and
> distribution that makes the question moot.
>
> Capabilities for Sakai 3 are developed on the "backend" with results
> exposed as RESTful services that an entirely separate UX development
> on the "frontend" can present results from and interact with—in other
> words, a very clear separation of the logic and presentation layers.
>
> I'm imagining a future where the Sakai 3 officially distributed by the
> SF is mostly backend, along with a carefully crafted default UX for
> core capabilities. The team that works on this central release is
> already developing their own standards for UX development which I
> don't think includes a server-side UX platform.
>
> The rest (perhaps eventually bulk?) of Sakai 3 will be a way more wide
> open repository of contributed capabilities that talk to that core and
> add additional UX. In this arena, developers can use whatever UX
> technologies they can get to work—including GWT. If you want wide
> adoption of and additional developers working on your contributed
> capability, you'd do well to develop closely to core standards,
> including those that address cross-cutting concerns like usability,
> accessibility, localization, etc. If you don't care, use whatever you
> want, but don't expect anyone to notice or use your contribution.
>
> The advantage of this model is a more closely engineered core with an
> open contribution space where the technology diversity we decry in
> Sakai 2 becomes a positive thing, attracting more developers with
> different skillsets and demonstrating different technologies.
>
> Ideally, an additional distribution mechanism will be available that
> allows the SF or others to package Sakai 3 core with selected
> additional contributed capabilities, enabling "distributions" of Sakai
> 3 tailored for specific uses.
>
> There are other open source projects that use this model with
> substantial success.
>
> --
> Nate Angell
> Client Evangelist
> http://www.rsmart.com
> http://twitter.com/xolotl
> http://xolotl.org
>

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Chambers, Sara J
> <schamber at indiana.edu <mailto:schamber at indiana.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for summarizing.  I would like to broaden #5: There is
>     significant interest in having a process to evaluate the pros and
>     cons of various technologies and application architecture options.
>
>     SJC
>
>     Sara J. Chambers
>     812-855-7014 (office) 812-325-8151 (mobile)

Mustansar Mehmood
Educational System Developer&  Integrator

Information Technology
6100 Main St. MS 119
Houston Texas 77005

Phone:(713)348-2523
Fax  :(713)348 6099
email:mustansar at rice.edu

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when,you  looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     -- Poul Anderson