[Building Sakai] MercuryPortal and CharonPortal

markjnorton at earthlink.net markjnorton at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 07:18:57 PDT 2010

I have used MercuryPortal in the past to develop Sakai tools.  It was somewhat useful at the time.  Beyond development, MercuryPortal served as a code example of how to develop a Sakai portal.  I have built other Sakai portals using it as a reference.  It has the advantage of being far simpler than either CharonPortal or SkinnableCharonPortal.  Given that lack of documentation on how to do this sort of thing, simplicity is in it's favor.

All that said, I'm neutral on removing MercuryPortal.  If I needed it, I could always go back to an older release and grab it.

W.r.t Charon, if we can find the labor to eliminate dependencies on CharonPortal (such as OSP), then I'd be in favor of eliminating it.  Since SkinnableCharonPortal is the one being used, having an alternative, older version around is just confusing.

FWIW,
Mark Norton