[Building Sakai] Wimba integration on 2.6

Max Whitney max at nyu.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:09:39 PST 2010

Nate recalls correctly our intentions at NYU. In 2007-2008 we were
looking closely at Wimba-Sakai integration. Nicola, who is now at
Longsight Consulting but was with NYU at the time, will probably have
the best recollection of the details. She noted earlier today that
there might have been some closely held jars involved.

We did not in the end deploy Wimba with Sakai, and ended up dialing
our Wimba commitment down. The tool was terrific, but the use case was
not at the time sufficiently compelling to a university-wide audience.
The McGhee online learning program at our School of Continuing and
Professional Studies has continued to use Wimba with success inside
the Epsilen environment.

-- Max

On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:50 AM, nate.angell at rsmart.com wrote:

> My understanding is that NYU Has done a wimba integration. Copying
> Max.
>
> On Jan 27, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Nicola Monat-Jacobs
> <nicola at longsight.com> wrote:
>
>> If I remember correctly, you may also need some jars from Wimba
>> that they didn't want to make available publicly.
>>
>> Nicola
>>
>> On Jan 27, 2010, at  12:23 AM, Steve Swinsburg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Has anyone got the Wimba integration up and running in Sakai 2.6?
>>>
>>> After fixing the POM's, I've built and deployed both the admin
>>> configuration tool and the site level tool, plugged in my
>>> integration account settings, save and get a success message but
>>> no record appears in the database.
>>>
>>> Manually entering the details in the database table allows it to
>>> at least try to connect but nothing appears in the site tool, just
>>> this in the logs:
>>> 2010-01-27 16:10:12,894  INFO http-8080-Processor24
>>> org.sakaiproject.tool.WimbaComponentTool.Component - Access
>>> privileges has been set: You have a Student role
>>> 2010-01-27 16:10:12,906  INFO http-8080-Processor24
>>> org.sakaiproject.tool.WimbaComponentTool.Component - Access
>>> privileges has been set: You have an Instructor role
>>>
>>> The docs are rather non existent too.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Steve