[Building Sakai] Suspected bad i18n behavior of portal

Jean-Francois Leveque jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr
Fri Jan 22 08:33:31 PST 2010

Matthew Buckett a écrit :
> 2010/1/22 Jean-Francois Leveque <jean-francois.leveque at upmc.fr>:
>> If you're giving your users access to only one locale, I think you
>> should update the locale you're using instead of adding a new property
>> to your configuration.
>>
>> login.text hides log.login
>> xlogin.text is not internationalized
>> logout.text hides sit_log
>
> For people who have custom builds of Sakai fixing the resource bundles
> isn't tool much of a problem, but this makes it harder for people who
> run vanilla Sakai deployments to customise the interface.
>
> A similar issue occurred for copyright options in the resources tool:
>
> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17692
>
> If there was an easy way to set locale strings from outside of editing
> the original resource bundles then I think this sort of change would
> be fine (although you still have to issue of changing meaning of
> resource bundle strings).

I thought the only institutions that were running a vanilla Sakai were
running a pilot.

Is Oxford University running a vanilla Sakai in production and using
these configuration properties?

Do we know institutions running a vanilla Sakai in production who have
set these configuration properties?

Lots of other strings are not customizable. Making all those available
through configuration for unheard-of use cases will be a nightmare, AFAICT.

BTW, I think you can update the resource bundles within Tomcat.

Cheers,

Jean-Francois