[Building Sakai] JMX performance concerns

Branden Visser branden at uwindsor.ca
Fri Jan 22 06:53:36 PST 2010

I think I found the culprit. Remote JMX monitoring requires RMI, which
is probably triggering this:

Increasing the gcInterval for the explicit RMI collection doesn't seem
to have any effect either. I've added -XX:+DisableExplicitGC and it
looks to be a winner.

Assuming that RMI invokes a timed GC for a reason, I wonder what kind of
garbage could be left behind from this? Maybe a non-issue given the
nature of JMX (i.e., only seldomly connected)?

Thanks,
Branden