[Building Sakai] Default Time Zone

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Fri Jan 8 09:33:03 PST 2010

I believe as Beth is saying, the default TimeZone in Sakai BasicTimeService
is set by TimeZone.getDefault(). Reading google there are issues with
timezone data in windows so this may report incorrect. I would update to the
latest JVM and see what this returns. There is a program here from sun that
updates the timezone config files.

http://java.sun.com/javase/timezones/

The following short program on Windows Server 2008 prints out for me
correctly.
timezone is
sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="America/New_York",offset=-18000000, . . .

javac TestTimeZone.java;java TestTimeZone

TestTimeZone.java
import java.util.*;
public class TestTimeZone {
    System.out.println("timezone is " + TimeZone.getDefault());
System.out.println("time is " + new Date()); System.out.println("locale is"
+ Locale.getDefault());
  } }