[Building Sakai] webDAV & windows 7

Berg, Alan A.M.Berg at uva.nl
Fri Feb 26 05:30:19 PST 2010

Hi all,

WebDav in Windows 7 has issues. I could only get it working through a network drive and then that was very slow indeed, others have reported inconsistent result. Googling I found that this is an issue for Windows 7 (for example: http://www.techiechips.com/web-folders-web-disk-webdav-problems-on-windows-7/) and not only for Sakai. It is for community to decide if it has the resources to make Sakai 2.x fully compatible with Windows 7. Apparently in vista sp2 there were WebDav patches that may not of followed through to Windows 7.

Recently, I generated the bug report http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18008 ( WebDAV usage help does not mention the most to date OS's such as Windows 7 in Resources). The idea is recommend a client tool that is open source and everyone can use. For example I found that BitKinex (http://www.bitkinex.com/webdavclient/) works well on my Windows 7 machines, but I have not looked at the license in general. Other clients are mentioned at: http://www.webdav.org/projects/

Alan

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation

Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam