[Building Sakai] Tool-based logic and side-effects of views

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Mon Feb 8 10:29:12 PST 2010

(I'll reserve comment on the particular JIRA issues below, keying on
the upshot.)

In general, I advocate for idempotency of views (GETs). However, I am
interested in a studied exploration of those "viewing is doing"
scenarios.

Perhaps the most familiar example is reading a message in a forum.
We've come to expect that the system will "know" what I've seen. This
could certainly be implemented with script and a delayed POST to mark
a message.

Maybe there is a reasonable pattern we can encourage here. I would
especially like to see our AJAX implemented as progressive
enhancement more than it is, so a good example could be very
powerful. Note that this "new stuff" topic comes up more with more
active environments, so we are headed right for it.

I think that, if we distinguish between places that are intentionally
"viewing as doing" and those that are incidental, we end up with
clearer awareness and paths forward.

Thanks,
-Noah