[Building Sakai] Is it possible to use JSF 2.0 in new Sakai tools?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Feb 8 09:40:28 PST 2010

Hi Tiago

Most of the issues with JSF 1.1 tools in production have been around its statefulness. This can result in all sorts of essentially bogus errors from things like duplicate http requests (from double-clicks on links), plus the URLs often cannot be bookmarked, tools don't work properly when opened in multiple browser tabs, etc. There are other traumas as well.

So if the choice is between jsp and jsf, definitely go for jsp.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Tiago Gaspar <tiagocgaspar at gmail.com> 2/8/2010 4:55 PM >>>
Hi Aaron and Stephen,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm working for some time with applications that require lots of Ajax (like
an Instant Messenger). In order to do that, I'm using a RIA framework called
ZK (http://www.zkoss.org/). That framework offers a markup language called
ZUL and alternatively all components in JSF or JSP format. Sakai also offers
JSF and JSP support, so in order to provide an uniform approach, we are
choosing between JSF and JSP.

We need to build some UI components for synchronous text, audio and video
support.

Could you explain better why JSP is better for Sakai instead of JSF?

PS: I'm developing for Sakai 2.6 and 2.5.

Thanks,
Tiago.