[Building Sakai] Is it possible to use JSF 2.0 in new Sakai tools?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Mon Feb 8 06:22:24 PST 2010

You could also consider building your tool in pure HTML/Javascript using REST APIs provided through the EntityBroker (existing ones or your own).

Here's an example of such a tool which we recently completed at UCT to manage large ad-hoc groups: http://source.cet.uct.ac.za/svn/sakai/uct-skins/trunk/library/content/uct/groupHelper/

Regards
Stephen

>>> Aaron Zeckoski <aaronz at vt.edu> 2/8/2010 4:12 PM >>>
In general the community would probably recommend against developing
tools for Sakai using JSF (I know I would). Which version of Sakai are
you developing this for?

If you can use something like Spring MVC, JSP, or RSF I think you will
find things are a lot easier for you. If you are very familiar with
JSF though and want the best chance of being compatible with many
different versions of Sakai then you will want to stick with JSF 1.x.

Hope that helps
-AZ

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Tiago Gaspar <tiagocgaspar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I understand that Sakai default tools are not JSF 2.0 compatible.  But, I'm
> starting a new tool and I was wondering if JSF 2.0 could be used. Could it
> also be used with sakai JSF tags (JSF 1.1)?
> Thanks,
> Tiago.

Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - University of Cambridge
https://twitter.com/azeckoski - http://www.linkedin.com/in/azeckoski
http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/ - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile