[Building Sakai] RSF Present and Future

csev csev at umich.edu
Fri Feb 5 18:49:33 PST 2010

This topic always ends in a hung jury :)

The -1 folks have great reasons until some Cambridge IT person stops backing up the server or asks around and says "are we using this old server" - and since no one in earshot says how important the server is, they shut it off and send it to property disposition and then we have *no source code at all*.

I am not concerned about next week or next year - I am concerned about five years from now.

There is no comparison between this and an apache project - of course we would never fork Apache - but RSF @ Cambridge is dead.  And over time folks will simply start to forget about it.   For now we know where the source is so I say we get a copy while the getting is good.   In five years - we will have the jars in our repo but not even have a single clue as to how to regenerate the jars.

This is like Y3K - we do what is lowest effort for the moment knowing full well that by the time this becomes a problem - we will no longer be around and so we simply won't care that it all falls apart.

/Chuck