[Building Sakai] [Deploying Sakai] Question on Using MYSQL Database with 2.6.x

Mustansar Mehmood mustansar at rice.edu
Thu Feb 4 15:48:06 PST 2010

Arshad,
My guess is you forgot to add mysql
driver(mysql-connector-java-5.1.10-bin.jar or so) in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/
Regards,
Mustansar
On 02/04/2010 05:36 PM, Arshad Naseem wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>       I am new to Sakai and trying to install Sakai with mysql. My
> default setup with the HSQL works fine but when i change the setting
> to mysql tomcat do't start.
>
> I am trying to install on windows XP.
>
> Here are my settings:
>
> hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect
> username at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=sakai
> password at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=sakai
>
> # MySQL settings
> vendor at org.sakaiproject.db.api.SqlService=*mysql5  (This is my
> servicename)*
> driverClassName at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
> hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect
> url at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/sakai?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8
> <http://127.0.0.1:3306/sakai?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8>
> validationQuery at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=select 1 from DUAL
> defaultTransactionIsolationString at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED
>
> # To get accurate MySQL query throughput statistics (e.g. for
> graphing) from the mysql command
> show status like 'Com_select'
> # This alternate validation query should be used so as not to
> increment the query counter unnecessarily when validating the connection:
> validationQuery at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=show variables like 'version'
>

> Error in Log file i see:

> 2010-02-04 16:26:13,437  WARN main
> org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.LazyConne
> ctionDataSourceProxy - Could not retrieve default auto-commit and
> transaction is
> olation settings
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot load JDBC driver
> class 'com.m
> ysql.jdbc.Driver'
>         at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.SakaiBasicDataSource.createDataSource(SakaiBa
> sicDataSource.java:136)
>         at
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource
> .java:880)
>         at
> org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.LazyConnectionDataSourceProxy.aft
> erPropertiesSet(LazyConnectionDataSourceProxy.java:137)

> Can someone help me?
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Arshad Naseem

Mustansar Mehmood
Educational System Developer&  Integrator

Information Technology
6100 Main St. MS 119
Houston Texas 77005

Phone:(713)348-2523
Fax  :(713)348 6099
email:mustansar at rice.edu

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when,you  looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
     -- Poul Anderson