[Building Sakai] [sakai-kernel] Version numbers.

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Wed Feb 3 09:35:49 PST 2010

In practice we haven't demonstrated real independence of K1 releases from major Sakai 2.x versions (i.e. 2-6-x = 1.0.x, 2-7-x = 1.1.x), so given that it's not current practice for people to swap out older for newer kernel versions (except 2nd-level minor releases), I don't think preserving a "major release = incompatible changes" convention is that valuable for us. We can as well do that with a 1.x increment and appropriate release notes.

And as has been pointed out, "K1 2.0" is generally confusing.

So my vote is that K1 should stay on 1.x forever (x can go to 10, 11, etc.), and leave K2 as-is.

Regards
Stephen

>>> "Speelmon, Lance Day" <lance at indiana.edu> 2/3/2010 7:18 PM >>>
Sorry but this is frustrating for me.  If we compare this to linux, the kernel is the kernel is the kernel. Linux has managed some pretty significant change over the years without having to change their artifact names - i.e. it is still the kernel.  To me this discussion we are having is theoretical versus practical.  Yes in theory we could imagine a conflict someday, somewhere. But, can we not just focus on the practical and move on with getting the work done?  If I am way off base here, please feel free to say so...  Thanks, L

Lance Speelmon
Scholarly Technologist