[Building Sakai] KNL-205 binary incompatibility

Ian Boston ian at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 3 08:14:08 PST 2010

On 3 Feb 2010, at 14:32, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> The alternate position that has been argued (some commentary may be in the JIRAs, others off-list) are that we should do (2) by introducing a new method getLongContentLength() and leaving the int method in place.

I know this is long gone, if I had been paying attention I would have said

+1 (non binding), but modify the impl of getContentLength() to warn in some way if > 2G. (log message, runtime exception) From the patches on KNL-205 it looks like if anyone tries a large file the are still in danger of crashing a JVM.  (On the basis one of them is in wiki, I am probably guilty there)

BTW, the Jira only contains your comments.

Sorry to have opened a can of worms I just wanted to understand why there were binary incompatibilities between kernel API's without deprecation.

Looks like you have a strong case for as many version numbers as you want. We will have to manage the pain in Kernel 2 (formally known as)

Ian