[Building Sakai] [sakai-kernel] Version numbers.

Ian Boston ian at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 3 05:39:30 PST 2010

Just had a look at KNL-205, does that break anything, looks backwards compatible to me.

try dropping this into eclipse

public class TestAPI {
  public void setContentLength( long length ) {

  }

  public void testContentLength() {
   long longLength = 10L;
   setContentLength(longLength);
   int intLength = 10;
   setContentLength(intLength);
   Long longLengthObj = 10L;
   setContentLength(longLengthObj);
   Integer intLengthObj = 10;
   setContentLength(intLengthObj);
  }
}

I dont get any errors, warnings and even FindBugs on its most aggressive settings doesn't complain.

although you should *never* just delete methods from public APIs (ever)

You should deprecate first. eg

@Deprecated
public void setContentLength(int length);

public void setContentLength(long length);

With this change no one knows they might have a truncation bug.

Can you point me at the discussion on KNL-205. All I can find in Google is announcements from RSmart about it breaking binary compatibility ?

Thanks
Ian