[Building Sakai] Video + desktop streaming in Sakai

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Tue Feb 2 05:57:19 PST 2010

Hi, Wilhelm.

Recently we have been investigating the videoconference solutions in Sakai.

The spanish enterprise Samoo is developing actually an integration of
Adobe Connect with Sakai, but I don't know the status of the project.

Wimba has also a project in Confluence for its integration with Sakai
(http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/WIMBA/Home). It's relatively
easy to install in a 2.5 server if you contact a Wimba partner who gives
you several jar's and an user/password. We have it running in a test
server and it's a great tool, but unfortunately is too expensive for a
small institution like us. Also, the integration is limited to the users
validation, it doesn't exist with the calendar or the resources, as the
integration with Elluminate does (I think).

Adrian, we are also really interested in your progresses with BBB.
Please, keep all us informed! ;-)

Another interesting open-source tool is Open Meetings, powered by
Google, but I don't know if somebody has done something with it.

Best regards.

Adrian Fish escribió:
> I'm currently playing with BigBlueButton (http://bigbluebutton.org/)
> which seems promising. Agora hasn't got a great deal of room for
> development seeing how the JMF got more or less dumped by Sun years
> ago. If JMF had more codecs in it and Agora got updated maybe it would
> be viable - I still love the Agora interface for example - but I just
> don't see it as feasible. I was actually thinking of investigating
> Red5 for an update of Agora but it seems crazy when BBB is around and
> open source.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adrian.
>
> Wilhelm Kleu wrote:
>> Hello all
>>
>> We are investigating options to provide video and/or desktop
>> streaming in Sakai.
>>
>> The contrib projects Agora and Live Virtual Classroom (with
>> Elluminate) seems worth investigating regarding this. From the logs
>> of this mailing list we also identified Red5 and Adobe Flash Media
>> server as possibilities. Can anyone recommend any other Sakai
>> projects or products that provide Sakai integration (or can be easily
>> integrated with Sakai) that are worth looking into?
>>
>> What are institutions that is currently running Sakai using for video
>> or desktop streaming?
>>
>> Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>> Wilhelm Kleu

Daniel Merino
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
La primera regla de un timo es que no se puede engañar a un hombre
honrado. No se ha hecho nunca. No puede suceder. Imposible. Solo
funciona si alguien quiere algo a cambio de nada. ¿Y qué hacemos? Pues
le damos nada a cambio de algo. (Hustle)