[Building Sakai] gradebook (1) API question

Dave Ross dave.ross at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 06:02:52 PST 2010

Happy Holidays!

We are doing some updates to our Sakai Gradebook <-> SIS integration, and we
are going to be using the "native" Sakai Gradebook's final course (letter)
grade functionality. We already have a Gradebook axis webservice that we
maintain, however it doesn't look like there is a clean way to simply ask
the Gradebook API to spit out the final grades. Our current solution, which
in testing seems to work, is to do this:

Map calculatedGrades =
aGradebookService.getCalculatedCourseGrade(gradebookUid);
Map overrides = aGradebookService.getEnteredCourseGrade(gradebookUid);
Iterator it = overrides.entrySet().iterator();
while (it.hasNext()) {
    Map.Entry pairs = (Map.Entry)it.next();
    calculatedGrades.put(pairs.getKey(), pairs.getValue());
    }
return calculatedGrades;

It feels a little weird that our code would be the one "applying" the
overrides to the calculated grades - but I don't see a better way to do this
using the GradebookService shared API.

Any thoughts?

-Dave Ross
Albany Med