[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.7.1 responsiveness

Kusnetz, Jeremy JKusnetz at APUS.EDU
Tue Dec 14 10:29:22 PST 2010

We are currently working on upgrading from Sakai 2.6.3 to 2.7.1.

See the graph below, this show response times for various tools that are
most used in our environment (times are in milliseconds).  Days prior to
the 10th this server was running Sakai 2.6.3, on the 10th is when we
upgraded it to 2.7.1  Along with upgrading Sakai, we also changed the
JVM to JDK1.6, everything else has remained the same, the database,
tomcat, hardware OS, etc.  We are still running MySQL 5.0, although we
are planning on upgrading to 5.1 once we get all our systems on 2.7.1.

This server is under no load at all, so these are pretty much base
times.  While it seems that most tools have gotten a little slower, it
seems the biggest two offenders are Resources and Samigo.  It looks like
Samigo now takes a full second to render on an unloaded system.  These
monitored tools are just empty tools, and it's just timing how long it
takes to render the tool's main page.  The blip at around 1-2 am is when
our SIS integration process runs which is fairly DB heavy, which seems
to imply that these tools are being more affected by database load?
Even so, during normal loads the times are significantly higher.

This second graph shows the same server but for the last 6 hours.
Interestingly we restarted Sakai at around 15:45, and Forums seems to
have doubled in rendering time.

This second graph is showing a production server running 2.6.3 for the
same timeframe for comparison sake.  Notice that the times are scaled
down due to the shorter response times.

This message is private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system.