[Building Sakai] Integrate Apache Wave with Sakai?

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 9 10:26:08 PST 2010

I would prefer to see the full integration of Etherpad over Wave.

IMHO, Wave failed because it was overly complex and confusing. While it filled a need (perhaps too many), it failed to communicate to the user "how" you were supposed to use it. I spent quite a bit of time with it and was never clear what the _right_ way to use it was. In any given situation was I supposed to create something new, edit what was there, comment on what was there, send a chat, etc...

This was when it first came out, and perhaps it has been improved on, but unless there have been significant improvements to the UI, I don't think that it's worth the effort.

Etherpad however just works. And though it does much less than Wave, it does it very well in a way that is clear to understand. (Big kudos to Steve Githens for the work that he's already done bringing EtherPad into Sakai.)

My 2 cents,
Eli