[Building Sakai] Sakai memory

Jon Wheat jwheat at messiah.edu
Wed Dec 8 11:10:19 PST 2010

Have a question for you all -
Our Sakai box has 4G of RAM - we have approx 3000 students, and it gets used constantly - to the point we have a  no window to do upgrades without having to alert everyone (and still they get upset when its down for a little bit).

That said - what is the recommended amount of memory?  I'm thinking 4G is way too little.

Watching 'top' I see the java cpu process hit 100% then back down, then up in the 80s and back. When this happens, is this a memory problem or something else more serious?

guess that's two questions.

thanks,
-Jon