[Building Sakai] Question about quartz jobs in sakai

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Fri Dec 3 14:37:23 PST 2010

Hi John and Duffy,

I came across some discussion between you about recent changes in the UI for quartz jobs in sakai.  I am working in EVALSYS code that may have to be compatible with 2.5.x, 2.6.x, etc, so I'm not sure it can depend on any recent changes, unless we get some special dispensation.  But I thought one of you might be able to suggest some basic best practices for scheduling quartz jobs in sakai.

The job I am scheduling just involves getting a set of things by calling a method or two on one of the EVALSYS logic classes and then iterating through those objects and calling a particular method for each one.  This might need to be done once a day, or possibly every couple hours, or possibly at some other frequency.  I'm thinking that what I need to do is create a singleton that will get a Scheduler from a SchedulerFactory on startup.  Then I can provide a UI that allows the user to create cron triggers for this job, view the triggers that have been scheduled, modify existing triggers, or delete triggers.  Does this sound right?

Thanks.

Jim