[Building Sakai] Using the Gradebook API

Zhen Qian zqian at umich.edu
Wed Aug 4 07:27:11 PDT 2010

I see SAK-16963 is fixed for updateExternalAssessmentScore. However,
similar problem remains for native Gradebook assignment. See
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13666. The implementation of
setAssignmentScoreString is using Double.valueOf(score), which would throw
NullPointerException if score is null.

Are empty strings and null values treated the same inside GradebookService,
in terms of UI, class average calculation, etc?

Thanks,

- Zhen

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:28:43 -0400, Matthew Jones  wrote:  Hi Chuck,  I'm
not sure if you're actually talking about removing the grade from the
gradebook or just clearing out the grade. I remember that mneme was using
the "null" idea you mentioned to clear out the grade and it was working
pre-2.6. I had to fix it when we went into production so it still worked.
The code was calling.   updateExternalAssessmentScore(String gradebookUid,
String externalId, String studentUid, Double points)   and was getting an
NPE when the points were
'null'. Previously (and after the patch in 2.6.2)
it clears out the points. Perhaps what you're seeing with your NPE is a
bug, perhaps this is the function you're looking for?
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16963 [1]