[Building Sakai] Session Timeout Problem

mizematr at notes.udayton.edu mizematr at notes.udayton.edu
Thu Apr 29 07:23:17 PDT 2010

That would be great.

I wrote something for http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17107, but
during testing I found the mistaken countdown message would get placed on
top of the lapsed popup (that's what I called the new message displayed
after the session timed out).  I need to polish it, but I was going to
submit a patch to Jira.
Matt Mize, Systems Administrator
 - Pay no attention to the man in the back office....
Matt.Mize at notes.udayton.edu
(937) 229-1024

UDit Department, University of Dayton
300 College Park, Dayton, OH, 45469-1302

Eli Cochran <eli at media.berkeley.edu>
04/29/10 09:33 AM

Matthew Buckett <matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk>
cc
Eli Cochran <eli at media.berkeley.edu>, mizematr at notes.udayton.edu,
Sakai-Dev <sakai-dev at collab.sakaiproject.org>
Subject
Re: [Building Sakai] Session Timeout Problem

We've seen the behavior here at Berkeley. I wrote up a number of JIRAs
about it. I have a few fixes and I apologize for not porting them forward
to the Sakai code base (they're sitting in the Berkeley repo right now.)

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17106

Let me look over my fixes and see if they are ready for primetime.

- Eli

On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:29 AM, Matthew Buckett wrote:

> On 28 April 2010 14:40,  <mizematr at notes.udayton.edu> wrote:
>>
>> We're currently looking at turning on the session timeout warning
>> implemented here
>>
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13987
>>
>> but have come across an odd error.  The warning pops up with five
minutes
>> left (we overrode the default for now) and works properly until the
session
>> expires.  If the time expires, however, the one minute left message
will be
>> displayed for one or two extra minutes, and then the timeout loops and
tells
>> the user they have five minutes left before their session expires.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this behavior?
>
> Is anyone using the session timeout feature in production?
>
> We don't use the session timeout in production here at Oxford. There
> do seem to be a few little niggles around the edges of it. Could you
> file any bugs you find in JIRA, and I'll try and have a look at fixing
> them.
>
> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>  Matthew Buckett
>  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services

Eli Cochran
manager of user experience design
ETS, UC Berkeley

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing
left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
    - Antoine De Saint-Exupery