[Building Sakai] issues with contemt-runconversion.sh in 2.6.x

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Thu Apr 29 00:03:14 PDT 2010

Hi Robert.
> Anway now the script now runs successfully.
> But I've run it though our dev server. But I started getting errors of this
> form
>
> 2010-04-29 15:51:29,894  WARN Timer-1
> org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.impl.OptimizeIndexOperation - Failed to
> compete Optimize
> org.sakaiproject.search.journal.api.JournalErrorException: Failed to open
> permanent Index
> at
> org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorage.getPermanentInd
> exWriter(JournaledFSIndexStorage.java:1320)
> .
> .
> Caused by: org.apache.lucene.store.LockObtainFailedException: Lock obtain
> timed out: SimpleFSLock@/usr/local/tomcat/sakai/indexwork/index/write.lock
>         at org.apache.lucene.store.Lock.obtain(Lock.java:70)
>

> I tried deleting write.lock. But then I got errors about corrupt search
> indexes. So I gave up and scrubbed the search indexes. Which seems to have
> shut it up :-).
>
> Anyway, the script now works, but it isnt the cleanup upgrade path I've
> seen..

I would recommend that you drop the search index and rebuild it. As I
recall there where some changes in the index format between 2.4. and 2.6
(though I could be wrong). To do so, with tomcat stopped or search disabled:

1) delete the contents of the local and shared index directories
2) Clear out the search tables in the db:

truncate table search_journal;
truncate table search_node_status;
truncate table search_segments;
truncate table search_transaction;
truncate table searchbuilderitem;
truncate table searchwriterlock;

(mysql syntax oracle may differ). Then restart tomcat and rebuild the index.

If your upgrading to 2.6 you might consider the post 2.6 branch of search:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn//search/branches/search-1.2-sakai2.6/

This uses more uptodate lucene libraries and is what we run in production.