[Building Sakai] Upgrade of Velocity in sakai-velocity-tool in trunk (SAK-18214)

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 16 05:51:22 PDT 2010

I looking at upgrading sakai-velocity-tool in trunk to a newer version
of velocity. Benefits of the upgrade include:

- better performance.
- ability to easily call getFormattedMessage(String, Object[]) from
the template without having to prebuild the array in Java.

To start with I was going to remove all the fixed dependencies from
the existing tools that use sakai-velocity-tools so that they are
pulled in transitively.

What this means in practice is that in a tool such as authz-tool I'll
remove the explicit dependencies on:

velocity:velocity:1.3
logkit:logkit:1.2
oro:oro:2.0.8

from the pom.xml and the required dependencies will be pulled in
transitively from sakai-velocity-tools. It turns out that logkit is
now optional so with an upgrade if velocity this will no longer be
pulled in.

Then the version of velocity included with sakai-velocity-tools can be
updated and all sakai tools using this new artifact will get a newer
version of velocity.

This is under: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18214

The poms affected by this initial change are:

M       access/access-impl/impl/pom.xml
M       alias/alias-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       announcement/announcement-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       archive/archive-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       assignment/assignment-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       authz/authz-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       calendar/calendar-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       chat/chat-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       citations/citations-servlet/servlet/pom.xml
M       citations/citations-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       content/content-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       mailarchive/mailarchive-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       memory/memory-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       presence/presence-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       rights/rights-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       site/site-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       site-manage/site-manage-link-helper/pom.xml
M       site-manage/site-manage-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       user/user-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       web/news-tool/tool/pom.xml
M       web/web-tool/tool/pom.xml

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services