[Building Sakai] Source Code on different platform

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Apr 15 13:42:21 PDT 2010

Hi Sam,

Most of the items related to internationalization that are broken on one
platform likely won't be fixed with a server on another platform. This is a
list of the known outstanding internationalization issues that were planning
to be resolved for 2.7.1.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-17980

I would verify that all of the steps on:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/I18N/Common+UTF-8+Problems

are completed, as that fixed a number of UTF-8 issues for me. This includes
setting the connector (either 8080 or the AJP if you're forwarding with
apache/IIS), as well as the everything related to the database.

There is still the outstanding one of editing an HTML page in resources,
which I don't believe is related to FCK anymore, as if you disable the
fckeditor it still has a problem. I wasn't able to figure out today why it's
occurring, but this is an old issue.

This is related to an old issue (SAK-1357 or SAK-12060) *that have a bunch
of related issues. It seems to keep coming back up with no completely
obvious answer as to why it's happening. This is probably because of so many
possible variables that some people will see it and others won't (operating
system, database, connector settings, files stored in file system or disk)*

I can say it isn't happening on most of our servers (which are
linux/oracle/storage on file system). But I do see the problem on QA6.
(Which is windows and is storing the file content in a mysql database).
Everything is correctly setup according to the documentation for UTF8
(tomcat connector, mysql connector, mysql tables) and other UTF8 text in
other areas works as expected.

-Matthew