[Building Sakai] Issue with Search tool "Failed to delete documents"

Earle Nietzel Earle.Nietzel at marist.edu
Mon Sep 28 12:48:18 PDT 2009

The Search tool is currently not working in our sakai 2.6.0 instance and
it keeps generating these messages in the log file:

2009-09-28 13:11:25,073 WARN Timer-3
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.MergeUpdateOperation - Failed to
compete merge of 15921
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.api.IndexTransactionException: Failed
to delete documents
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorageUpdateTransactionListener.prepare(JournaledFSIndexStorageUpdateTransactionListener.java:168)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.firePrepare(IndexTransactionImpl.java:313)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.prepare(IndexTransactionImpl.java:147)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.MergeUpdateOperation.runOnce(MergeUpdateOperation.java:94)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.IndexManagementTimerTask.run(IndexManagementTimerTask.java:139)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: no segments* file found in
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory@/mnt/san/indexwork/index-import/15264:
files:
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos$FindSegmentsFile.run(SegmentInfos.java:516)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:185)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader.open(IndexReader.java:158)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorage.getIndexReaderInternal(JournaledFSIndexStorage.java:835)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorage.getIndexReader(JournaledFSIndexStorage.java:736)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorage.getDeletionIndexReader(JournaledFSIndexStorage.java:564)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorageUpdateTransactionListener.prepare(JournaledFSIndexStorageUpdateTransactionListener.java:124)
        ... 6 more

We have 2 nodes in our cluster with the following properties:

search.enable = true
localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=${sakai.home}/indexwork
sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=/mnt/san/searchjournal

I tried "Rebuilding Whole Index" thinking maybe that this would remove the
existing index's and rebuild from scratch but that did not seem to work.

Ideas?

Earle

PS logged as http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16948