[Building Sakai] Oracle 11g support

Drew Zhu qszhu at umich.edu
Mon Sep 28 12:04:12 PDT 2009

Hi Steve,

Since SAKAI uses few (if any) Oracle specific features, it should be
safe to use 11g with problems. Usually, Oracle supports old version
features after adding more new features to the new version. So, there
should be no risks with running SAKAI on 11g.
University of Michigan had done some load tests with 11gR1 and there was
no problems with running SAKAI on 11gR1. Now, with the release of 11gR2,
more and more organizations start to work on the upgrade.
Pay attention to the password. 11g has option (default) of password case
sensitive while the password was not case sensitive with earlier
versions, including 10g.
If you start the production on 2010 September, the best option would be
11gR2 anyway because the Oracle primary support for 10g ends on the end
of July.

Hope that can help.

Regards,
Drew Zhu