[Building Sakai] search tool in sakai 2.6

Kimberly Ma this4it at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 08:45:20 PDT 2009

Dear All,

The search tool in our sakai 2.6 created a lot of error messages recently,
and we could not use it to search anything, it always returns "record no
found".

the most recent error messages are:
-------------------
2009-09-25 11:05:28,607  INFO Timer-2
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.impl.OptimizeTransactionListenerImpl -
LocalOptimize: Optimized 110 segments in to local master
2009-09-25 11:05:28,974  WARN Timer-2
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.impl.OptimizeIndexOperation - Failed to
compete optimize
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.api.IndexTransactionException: Failed to
commit
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.commit(IndexTransactionImpl.java:195)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.impl.OptimizeIndexOperation.runOnce(OptimizeIndexOperation.java:91)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.IndexManagementTimerTask.run(IndexManagementTimerTask.java:139)
Caused by:
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.api.OptimizedFailedIndexTransactionException:
Failed to commit index merge operation
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.impl.OptimizeTransactionListenerImpl.commit(OptimizeTransactionListenerImpl.java:120)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.fireCommit(IndexTransactionImpl.java:324)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.transaction.impl.IndexTransactionImpl.commit(IndexTransactionImpl.java:188)
        ... 4 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /export2/search/index/_f.cfs (No
such file or directory)
        at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput$Descriptor.<init>(FSDirectory.java:506)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$FSIndexInput.<init>(FSDirectory.java:536)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.openInput(FSDirectory.java:445)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader.<init>(CompoundFileReader.java:70)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.initialize(SegmentReader.java:181)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:167)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:139)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:1867)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:1231)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addIndexes(IndexWriter.java:1420)
        at
org.sakaiproject.search.optimize.impl.OptimizeTransactionListenerImpl.commit(OptimizeTransactionListenerImpl.java:106)
        ... 6 more
2009-09-25 11:05:29,072  INFO Timer-2
org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.SharedFilesystemJournalStorage - ++++++
Saving /export2/search/indexer-work/indextx-1253889595269 to shared
---------------------
It happened before when the disk for file directory of  localIndexBase was
accidentally dismounted. So when Sakai front end restarted, it could not
find the loclIndexBase directory,  we ended up rebuilding all the indexes.
(localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=/export2/search,
in sakai.properties)  But recently, we could not recall any this kind of
mistake we made.

What is the best way to correct this problem ? Should I remove all the index
files, restart front end, rebuild the whole index(The performance will
suffer for at least 24 hours..) or something else ?

Thanks,
-Kim
Rutgers, Office Of Instruction and Research Technology