[Building Sakai] Sakai Issues in Assignments, Syllabi, Quizzes in Production - HELP!

kfaella kmf at uri.edu
Tue Sep 15 05:09:16 PDT 2009

Just wanted to thank you all and report that you were right about the
permissions on /tmp.  I did not realize that I had the sakai.properties
value for samigo pointing to /tmp.  I will need to be moving that!  But at
least fixing the permissions has people happier!

Kathy

I would start by looking at the filesystem permissions on your app servers
for

/tmp

which is what T&Q appears to be using to handle file uploads. On
Linux/*BSD/Solaris systems, /tmp should normally have permissions which
allow any OS user to create files there, but perhaps the user account under
which Tomcat is running does not have permission to do that.

I'm not sure that's in any related to the 403 and 404s on the URLs below
however (/access/content/...). I'd suggest investigating those individually,
looking at what files are being requested (and from what referer URL - you
can enable referer logging in apache), and why the user can't access them.
For example it could be something like an image referenced inside the HTML
for a quiz question where the image itself is in a location that the user
taking the quiz has no rights to access.

Regards
Stephen