[Building Sakai] [CWux] Fwd: [WG: Sakai QA] high priority UI issues

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 30 05:28:22 PDT 2009

It's hard for me to know for sure how students will react. There
aren't a lot of times when a student will have to confirm something in
Sakai. I agree with you that we asked for confirmation because the
submit button was in a place where they hit it by accident. However
it's probably a place where confirmatino does make sense.

Assignment submission does not require confirmation.

I don't see many other places where a student would get a confirmation
screen. However deleting a file in the workspace does. It says "Are
you sure you want to remove the following items" and has buttons
"Remove" and "Cancel."  I can't be sure without user testig, but I
conjecture that the current Samigo confirmation is too wordy. I
believe if you remove most of the other text, and say "Are you sure
you want to submit this assessment?"  with buttons "Yes, really
submit" and "Cancel" we might get better results. Also the remove
confirmation screen has the most visible item large bold red Remove
confirmation" You have that title at the top where it's slightly less
visible and it is "assessment submission warning." I think I might say
justt "Confirmation".

There is an issue of terminology that may also be causing trouble. The
word "confirmation" is used both for a screen where you confirm your
action and the final confirmation screen that gives you a unique
confirmation number. That makes it hard for me even to discuss this
clearly, because the only term I can come up with is "confirmation
screen", and it applies to both of them. I don't have any obvious
wording suggestions, but I'd call the final screen something else,
since I think "confirmation screen" normally means "are you sure?"

However I'd still  consider a popup. We're increasingly using wha I'd
call a popup, althought it technically isn't. See e.g. the action
button in resources. It brings up something that I'd call a popup.
Users browsers have to be confiigued to allow that. Furthermore, a
popup blocks won't stop a simple Javascript confirm. I checked that
last year before doing it.