[Building Sakai] Profile2

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Oct 23 13:37:22 PDT 2009

As of r68253, both Profile2 (1.3-SNAPSHOT) and the supporting tinyurl
service (0.9-SNAPSHOT) are now available for evaluation and testing by
activating the "experimental" profile when performing a trunk build
(I'll update the trunk-experimental branch later). Just check out or
do an svn update of trunk (to pick up the core-deploy pom update) and
then clean, install and deploy it.

DEPLOY

cd trunk/master
mvn clean install
cd ..
mvn -Pexperimental clean install sakai:deploy
or
mvn -Pexperimental clean install -Dmaven.test.skip=true sakai:deploy

Result: trunk code, other experimental stuff + Profile2 and the
tinyurl service will be installed in your local .m2 repo and deployed
to Tomcat.

CONFIGURE

For required Profile2 property settings see:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROFILE/Profile2

GOTCHAS (well sort of)

Despite, the "myworkspace" category definition below, Profile2 did not
show up in the My Workspace collection of tools (nor elsewhere).  I
did not spend any time worrying about this and instead added Profile2
to a site by employing the Sites tool to add the tool to a new page:

Sites
Select site
Click on "Pages"
Click on "New Page"
Provide Page title
Click on "Tools"
Click on "new Tool"
Add Profile2

Profile2 is quite slick and is being considered for inclusion in Sakai
2.7.  Try it out.

Cheers,

Anth

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/profile2/trunk/tool/src/webapp/tools/sakai.profile2.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<registration>
	<tool id="sakai.profile2"
		title="Profile2"
		description="Edit your Profile, search for people with common
interests, view their profile and add them as friends">

       	<category name="myworkspace" />

		<configuration name="functions.require" />

     </tool>
</registration>