[Building Sakai] priority UI changes

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 23 07:08:54 PDT 2009

Incidentally you'll see a common theme: Sakai has a tendency to use
one level too much of dialog when dealing with attachments-like
thiings, whether files or portfolio forms. What you'd like to see is
on the main test or assignment or wizard a list of the current
attachments, with an upload button that uploads new ones. The result
would show as one more thing on the list. In contrast, Sakai tends to
have a button "add attachment" that brings up another screen. In the
best case that screen has a view of your resources and a button saying
"upload." After some head-scratching most users can probably find the
upload button, although they wonder why we made them click upload
twice. The problem is that once having done the upload, it isn't clear
to them that they're now one level down in menus, and need to get back
to the main one. The worst case is where the extra screen doesn't have
an upload button. It just shows you Resources, and you have to know to
click "Add" in a folder, upload there, and select the uploaded item.
By that time the user forgets what they were trying to do in the first
place.

This is caused by a common problem: Developers think users are going
to want to attach existing objects: files from resources or forms
already filled out. I very much doubt that most of our users even
realize they have a worksite. You don't want to add another level to
all the UIs to allow use of existing files. My suggestion is to use a
widget like the "Action" pulldown in Resources, You'd have a button
"attach" that pulled down to "Upload file" and "Use existing file from
Worksite." I'd like to see a common approach throughout Sakai, since
this issue occurs all over the place. I've flagged the ones that I
think are worst.