[Building Sakai] java support

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 16 11:38:35 PDT 2009

Does anyone have experience with Sun Java support? As you may know,
we've backed up from Java 6 to java 5, because of unexplained long
hangs in java 6. We just got told by Sun that not only wouldn't they
take a support call on our normal Solaris contract, because Java now
requires a separate support contract, but they wouldn't even take it
under that. They think it's a tuning problem, and would expect us to
pay for professional services to help us tune it. If they're going to
do that consistently, it makes Java a much less useful platform for
us. We already had the Solaris support people help us with a crash
that was clearly a java library bug. (The workaround was to change a
configuration file to use a different version of the library.) It
sounds like at this point they'd no longer do that under our normal
support contract. I'm not sure we could have solved that one for
ourselves in any reasonable amount of time.