[Building Sakai] File uploads above content.upload.max yield "connection was reset" screens

George Pipkin gpp8p at Virginia.EDU
Thu Oct 15 09:16:39 PDT 2009

Hi -

   We recently moved out content.upload.max down to 100 Mb.  In
tyesting, we discovered that
uploading files above that often yields a "connecrtion was reset"
screen.  Looking at the logs,
it's clear that RequestFilter is detecting the fact that the file is too
big.  However, even after the
log message indicating that is entered into the logs, the upload appears
to continue - sometimes
for more than 30 seconds.  Then a "connection was reset" screen
appears.  This screen doesn't appear
to be coming from tomcat - if you do a view source on the frame, the
browser displays an alert that says
it has to resent your request.

   Looking at the logs, it appears that the request makes its way into
ResourcesHelperAction down
to line 1251:

if(pipe_init_id == null || response_init_id == null || !
response_init_id.equalsIgnoreCase(pipe_init_id))

where it discovered that response_init_id is null.  It then takes the
exit that follows, leaving a DEBUG log
entry:

doUpload() setting error on pipe

Sooo - what might be causing the connection reset to be sent?  Might
this be something that is happening in the
connector - we are running proxy_ajp behind a local director with in a
multi-host setup.

                                                    - George Pipkin
                                                       U.Va.