[Building Sakai] Sections and Project Sites

Oliver Heyer oliver at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 13 18:49:16 PDT 2009

Raad,

Please see

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn//sections/trunk/xdocs/README.txt

Here is one relevant excerpt:

Sections use a "marker" authorization function to determine which
sakai role contains the list of members.  Only one role per section
can contain the marker function. If more than one role
contains the marker function, SectionAwareness will fail quickly.
Since there is no UI exposed to the user for editing section authzGroups,
this kind of misconfiguration shouldn't occur.

Students:  Find the role that contains the 'section.role.student'
authorization function.	 The members in this section's role
are considered students in the section.

TAs:  Find the role that contains the 'section.role.ta'
authorization function.	 The members in this section's role
are considered TAs.

Instructors:  Find the role that contains the 'section.role.instructor'
authorization function.	 The members in this section's role
are considered instructors.

We must insist that only one section role have any particular marker
in a site because, when adding a user to a section, we need to find
the one (and only one) role to use when adding the user.  If two roles
with the same marker function existed in the section's authzGroup,
it would be impossible to know which roles to use when determining
the section's membership.

Oliver