[Building Sakai] Java 1.6 for Sakai 2.7

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Mon Oct 12 10:31:20 PDT 2009

There are no issues I have seen with JSP under java 6. I think the
issue is isolated to JSF and possibly the JSF usage of jsp files.
-AZ

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM, David Haines <dlhaines at umich.edu> wrote:
> We get the complete regression test by being part of 2.7, which is one of
> the reasons this needs to be done as part of 2.7.   People making source
> changes will, of course, do tests on those specific changes.
> The issue of JSF / JSP problems is interesting.  Are these problems that
> happen when the page is compiled for the first time or does the compile run
> fine, but the behavior is changed?
> - Dave
> David Haines
> CTools Developer
> Digital Media Commons
> University of Michigan
> dlhaines at umich.edu
>

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Speelmon, Lance Day wrote:
>
> IMHO, you are missing a complete regression test when running under a 1.6
> JDK - maybe between #2 and #3.  For example, there are known JSF issues when
> running under 1.6 that would be uncovered in this phase.  Best, L
>

> Lance Speelmon
> Scholarly Technologist
>
> On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:10 PM, David Haines wrote:
>
> Based on this and other comments I s! uggest th p;
>
> Sakai to Java 1.6 is actually 3 projects:
>
> 1) Get all the code to compile, run tests, and run without regressions
>
> with the 1.6 compiler.
>
> 2) Modify the code to avoid the 1.5 compatibility hacks.
>
> 3) Resolve the 1.6 JVM gc issues.
>
> Only the first needs to be done by the 2.7 code freeze deadline.  The
>
> second is a good idea, but not critical.  The third is mostly likely
>
> to be done by individual schools tuning for their own environments and
>
> then sharing the results.
>
> Unless someone has a better idea, I'll update Jira to reflect this
>
> split.
>
> - Dave
>
> David Haines
>
> CTools Developer
>
> Digital Media Commons
>
> University of Michigan
>
> dlhaines at umich.edu
>

> On Oct 9, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Charles Hedrick wrote:
>
> Actually I'm going to issue a service re! quest wit
>
> support contract was inadvertently changed to a level where I can't
>
> report problems. We're working on it with Sun.
>
> There are lots of reports of GC issues with Java, some that look the
>
> same, but it's always a bit unclear what is causing them. If you
>
> look at release notes you'll see many patches involving the GC. It's
>
> quite likely that there are multiple issues resulting in similar
>
> symptoms.
>
> This could well be an interaction between Java and Solaris, so you
>
> might not see it. One question is whether you look for it. I have a
>
> system status page that reports all kind of operational numbers. One
>
> of them is the last 3 GC's that took longer than 10 sec. (I get that
>
> by using a program that effectively tails catalina.out and watches
>
> matching reporting the amount of time applications were! stopped, te>
>
> can cope with the file changing when we do a new deploy.)
>

> On Oct 9, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Noah Botimer wrote:

> [...]

Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - University of Cambridge
https://twitter.com/azeckoski - http://www.linkedin.com/in/azeckoski
http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/ - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile