[Building Sakai] Maven / edu-services / quick workaround

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri Oct 9 15:13:59 PDT 2009

Greetings,

NOTE: this won't apply to you if you build your whole working copy or
the edu-services module gets pushed to the snapshot repository. This
message will likely self-destruct in a few days or less.

If you're like me and do little patches on various tools in a
sparsely updated trunk working copy and a mostly stale M2 repo, you
may have (or might) run into a new build problem. There is now a
packaging of the edu-services bundle as a tool dependency. I didn't
want to rebuild the world for a 6-line patch to msgcntr, so I walked
the dependencies and came up with a quick hack.

You can add a profile to the top level pom:

         <profile>
             <id>argh</id>
             <modules>
                 <module>master</module>
                 <module>archive/import-api</module>
                 <module>test-harness</module>
                 <module>edu-services</module>
                 <module>jsf</module>
             </modules>
         </profile>

This handled what it took for me to get past the new version deps on
2.7.0-SNAPSHOT and edu-services and so on. A "mvn -Pargh clean
install" at the top level set me up for a nice, easy "mvn clean
install" in msgcntr, which was breaking hard previously.

Again, this won't be an issue if you're in the habit of full updates
and rebuilds.

Cheers,
-Noah